rigging and skinning.
One of the more interesting thing I did this week was creating a 3D twine that could curl, stretch and snap in two. Having not done much animations that were not humanoid before this it required some experimentation. I first tried modeling it in the curled position and rigging it with a tail, but straightening it in motionbuilder proved difficult and the tail rigging was less responsive than I had hoped.
I then tried modeling it straight and rigging it with a spine which gave a much better result with responsive flexibility. It would have easy to just add loops and spines to give it even more flexibility, but since it will be part of the hud I decided to keep it a bit simpler to save performance. To save performance it is also made up of two halves of the same mesh and rig lined up in a mirroring position.